Monday, July 7, 2014

Island Girl Takes On The World (United World College, that is)

Well, hello there.

Allow me to introduce myself. I was born and raised on this little piece of paradise called St. Maarten. It's the smallest island to be divided between two European countries (France and the Netherlands). I live on the Dutch side. My island is pretty small (37 square miles in area), but on these 37 square miles you'll find people from all over the world, of all different nationalities and backgrounds. That's one of the features of SXM that I love. Of course we can't forget the amazing beaches, and the fact that you get the best of two different worlds. And the food. Yes, the food.

Alas, there comes that bittersweet moment when it's time to leave home. Time to leave behind all that you've known and the family and friends that you love. To tell you the truth, that's the hardest part, but I truly am ready and excited to move on to something newer, a change of scenery, new experiences, new journeys. That's why I made this blog! I this new chapter in my life.  My new adventures, new friendships, new lessons, ideas and dreams. You may be wondering what the next big step is going to be, well here it is: I've been accepted to go to United World College Maastricht! Joining the UWC movement has been a dream of mine for the past few years, and I'm excited to finally be able to say that I'm a UWC'er. I'll be spending the next two years in the south of Holland, studying in this micro world of people from all corners of the Earth, who are living and learning together. A life-changing education process that will lead to so many new opportunities. For those of you who've never heard of UWC, follow this link for a short introduction video! 
 
What is UWC? 

"UWC makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future"

This blog will be about a lot of different subjects, very general, but there's going to be a special segment of posts related specifically to UWC: the application process and how it works, UWC life, preparation and whatever else might interest people who are thinking of applying to UWC and who will be going through the application process, people who attend a UWC or are about to attend one, alumni, and just anyone who's intrigued by the UWC movement.

Shout out to the UWC generation 2014-2016! This is just the beginning guys :)

One love,

Sahar



No comments:

Post a Comment